Itambira Island Seeds of Hope have been busy donating aid to the Bunyonyi Lake area in South West Uganda, after an overwhelming response to the charity’s alternative Christmas gift appeal.
Founder Sally Botteley said:
“Big THANK YOU for the ‘Christmas gifts’ which have begun to be distributed on Itambira Island and the areas surrounding Lake Bunyonyi (SW Uganda) this week – blessing many people.”
The appeal invited donors to gift money to be used on specific gifts, ranging from relatively inexpensive agricultural tools at just £4 to water tanks at £250. Other options included:
- Livestock (chickens, rabbits, goats) and seeds as families in the area rely on growing their own crops for sustenance as well as for sale
- Bibles in the local language Rukiga were a popular gift after the Christian-based charity’s appeal was shared in UK churches, with around 50 being distributed
- Household equipment such as cleaning essentials, jerry cans for water collection, cooking equipment; as well as mattresses and blankets for increasing warmth and comfort
- School books pens and pencils – a class of 48 in a village school could be equipped for just £15
The covid pandemic made 2020 a difficult year for everyone, but in the area of South West Uganda served by Itambira Island Trust, it has been even more so. With no state aid and no tourism, villagers have had to rely on their own means.
Delivery of the gifts began before Christmas, transforming the lives of families around Lake Bunyonyi through Itambira Island Seeds of Hope.
The pictures show an incredible volume and variety of donations through the generosity of many people.
Charity and Community
The Itambira Island Seeds of Hope charity works with communities surrounding Lake Bunyonyi through a variety of projects designed to improve their livelihood.
All profit from tourism goes to support our local community projects. Despite the challenges of the global pandemic, Itambira Island Seeds of Hope have been determined to continue the charity work as much as is safe and possible, adapting our activities as required in the challenging environment.
The mission of Itambira Island Seeds of Hope is to provide the communities around Lake Bunyonyi with opportunities for learning with the aim of transforming their lives physically, economically and spiritually.
Itambira Island offers a unique opportunity to stay on Lake Bunyonyi. Day visitors are welcome and overnight guests can choose to stay in colourful en-suite treehouses or roundhouses with a lake view. We also offer budget accommodation and a cottage which is ideal for families or groups.
Our restaurant overlooking Lake Bunyonyi serves local and international food. We also offer wood-fired pizza and run regular barbecues. Sit by the firepit and watch the sun go down!
Conferences and events are our speciality.
Itambira Island is also home to the Seeds of Hope project and all profit supports our local community training courses and other initiatives.
- Telephone: +256778785624 / +256754942699
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org